What is FastReport Corporate Server?
FastReport Corporate Server is a set of cloud services provided by Fast Reports that can be used by software developers, report developers and end users. The main services include:
- Reports, templates (report template — an internal storage format,
frx) storage allowing users to upload, copy, move, rename, change attributes, delete, and download report files.
- Differentiation of access permissions to the user's cloud resources.
- Report Builder. The service allows you to generate a report or a printable document based on a template that is stored in the cloud storage.
- Online Designer for templates allowing users to create a new template or edit an existing one.
The Report Builder is based on the FastReport .NET report generator library. The Report Builder provides access to shared resources with a single service queue. This means that the request to the Builder2 will be immediately placed in the service queue and will be processed after a while.
As for the queue time for report building, on our part, we will do our best to minimize this time and provide clear information about the waiting time and position in queue.
How does FastReport Corporate Server work?
FastReport Corporate Server provides REST API for integration into any server application. Below is an illustrative scheme of work.
It is possible to embed in the client application, however, for security reasons, we do not recommend sharing access to your account through client applications.
Let's consider a simple example of how a report in a PDF format can be retrieved by an end user. Though there are other ways to accomplish this task, the one described below is recommended.
- The end user opens the client application. It can be any application with Internet access: Android, iOS, TV, Windows, web, PWA ...
- The end user requests to view the report (PDF file) in the application.
- The application connects to the backend server, which contains the connection string to the FastReport Corporate Server access point. This approach will secure your FastReport Corporate Server account access keys.
- The server calls the build to request a PDF file either using FastReport.Cloud.SDK or directly by sending an HTTP request to the FastReport Corporate Server access point via the REST API protocol. Then it switches into the standby mode, waiting for the response for some time.
- The builder completes the task.
- The server downloads the task execution result (PDF file) and returns it to the client application.
How does FastReport Corporate Server differ from FastReport .NET library?
FastReport Corporate Server uses the FastReport .NET library, carrying the report building function over from the client application to the cloud servers. The following table shows the differences between the cloud solution and the library:
|FastReport Corporate Server||FastReport .NET|
|Programming language||Any language; the service can be used from any application||C#, VB, other .NET languages|
|Report Builder||Remote, on the cloud computing capacities||Locally on the server or client application|
|Access control||Provides flexible access control to resources||Must be developed manually|
|Internet access||Requires Internet access for work||Can work without network access|